While Diablo 4 isn’t out yet, we’ve heard that the game will continue with the expansion model of the last two games, even if it also runs live service seasons. This means, no doubt, that more classes will be added as was the case with Lord of Destruction and Reaper of Souls. But what classes?
I wanted to go back through all the Diablo classes we’ve seen over the years and pull out the ones I think are likely to make a comeback. Mine guess is that we end up with at least two, since both Diablo 2 and 3 had two classes at the time, but I have my eye on three in particular from this list.
- Warrior – highly unlikely. This eventually evolved into the Barbarian class, which Diablo 4 already has, so that’s not going to happen
- Rogue – already exists. Diablo 4 brought back the Rogue class as… an actual Rogue class.
- Wizard – already exists. The basis of the series as well as Barbarian, without changing the name.
- Amazon – somewhat likely. While there are some aspects of the ranged Rogue and Amazon that overlap, I think this class could be primed to make a comeback, especially with hints of Amazons that never went anywhere in Diablo 3. I want my Javazon back.
- Barbarian – already exists.
- Necromancer – already exists.
- Paladin – Extremely likely. I absolutely believe Paladin will be back. It was the base class in Diablo 2 and the expansion class in Diablo 3. It’s different enough from all the other classes where it produces almost no overlap and looks like a prime candidate for a comeback.
- Enchantress – already exists.
- Assassin – highly unlikely. Rogue, despite the different name, fills this role. He has all the traps, daggers and shadow attacks he needs and this would be a redundant class.
- Druid – Already exists. I was a little surprised to see the Druid arrive as a base class, but I think it was a good move.
- Barbarian – already exists.
- Witch doctor – extremely unlikely. While Diablo 3 got the Necromancer and if you have a Witch Doctor, I think there’s too much overlap between the two pet-based classes in D4 for the Witch Doctor to come back over some of these others.
- Wizard – already exists. This is just a Wizard/Sorceress called by another name.
- Monk – somewhat likely. While I strongly believe Paladin will return, I think it might be a toss up between Monk and Amazon for the second class. Again, it’s a completely unique playstyle and was a huge hit in Diablo 3. We’ll see what they think about bringing it back.
- Demon Hunter – Highly unlikely. Rogue, Assassin, Demon Hunter, they are all branches of the same tree, even if the name keeps changing. No two-handed crossbows, I guess.
- Crusader – very likely. This is just Paladin renamed. As before, I think this class will return.
- Necromancer – already exists. It was really weird to have Necro back in a standalone pack in D3, but I believe that’s a result of the discontinued expansion. It is now a basic class.
Which ones do you want to return?
Follow me on Twitter, YouTube, Facebook and Instagram. Subscribe to my free weekly content preview newsletter, Year Rolls.
Take my sci-fi novels Herokiller series and Earthborn Trilogy.
Forbes – Innovation